9/8/11

I read blogs like this one from Whitney, from Louise and from Janine who are all women I admire because they have taught me, made me laugh right out loud and influenced my life. Which is a very good thing. I'm in desperate need of influence and instruction.And laughing - right out loud.


You see, I am pretty pathetic right now.

I have been mothering for 30 years and can't seem to switch gears now that they have left the nest. I can't seem to figure out how to have relationships with adult children. I am either shrinking in their towering shadow or lecturing them on my vision of the world. I don't know where the boundaries are anymore. And what is my role now? Why do I need a role? You see what I mean about being pathetic? I want to let go. I don't need to tell them who they should date or marry or what they should study or where. I need to let go. But I can't seem to stop all the drums beating in my head "Hang on, hang on".


And in an other relationship in my life, with the demented Used to Be Mother, I am becoming Mother. I have to remind her to wash her clothes. I take her to her appointments. I make sure that she has wool. I remind her who's who. I'm caught between two paradigms. And seeing how Used to Be Mothers and Used to Be Fathers who ran corporations and managed large households and lead political parties now sit vacantly waiting for their dinner doesn't provide a very promising future either.

I want to stop being paternalistic with my adult children and more patient with my child mother. I want to exercise a little more trust. These children are smart, opinionated and independent. B and I have done a really good job launching them. And I need to respect their choices, their decisions, their opinions. And not feel upset that they will be different than mine. I don't want to live through them. But how do you suddenly change tactics from being a straight shooting talking from the hip kind of person to one that eats her tongue all the time?

Obviously I wouldn't be so pathetic if I could actually do what needs to be done. I'm in for a lot of "pathetic-ness" or a lot of therapy. Perhaps you have some really good advice to share. What works. What doesn't. Or maybe a number to a really good shrink. Whatever, I'm ready to learn.

11 comments:

Yvonne said...

Oh, I feel your pain. Unfortunately I don't bite or eat my tongue often enough ; ) I still have a tough time respecting their choices because I REALLY DO KNOW WHAT WILL MAKE THEM HAPPY ; ) No, seriously, when I see them that struggle so much, it breaks my heart.

For me, the only thing that works is faith, hope and prayer.

Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Ay, Bonnie. I've been thinking a lot about you these past few days. My nid just became vide in the last few days. I do have my music to fill up the hours, but I wasn't prepared for the hollow loneliness anyway. Sigh. Still working on it. Let me know if you have any great ideas about this new identity thing.
Valerie Wride

Anonymous said...

HI SO NICE TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN ... SEEMS TO ME YOU HAVE THE SAME '' EMPTY NEST '' SYNDROME I HAVE , IVÉ LEARNED THAT THIS IS THE WAY IT MUST BE [AS HARD AS IT IS ] THEY HAVE BEEN TRYING THEIR OUT THEIR FEATHERS AND NOW IT IS TIME TO LEAVE THE NEST ... MY PROBLEM IS I ALWAYS FEEL THAT I STILL NEED TO GUIDE AND ENCOURAGE AND YET WHEN I LOOK BACK AT HOW MUCH THEY HAVE ACCOMPLISHED AND GROWN, I HAVE TO PUSH MY CHEST IN AND GIVE THANKS .... ALL THREE ARE HAPPILY MARRIED . HAVE BEAUTIFUL FAMILIES AND SEEM TO BE HAPPY AS A LARK .. EVEN THOUGH THEY DO NOT HOLD A PRETIGIOUS UNIVERSITY DEGREE I AM PROUD OF THEIR ACCOMPLISHMENTS . THEY ARE ALL GREAT ,LOVING PARENTS . THEY ATTEND CHURCH REGULARLY AND TRY TO LIVE LIKE A SON OR DAUGHTER OF OUR FATHER IN HEAVEN AND THAT GIVES ME GREAT PEACE BUT NOW I SEEM TO FRET OVER THE GREAT GRAND CHILDREN !!! WE HAVE BEEN BLESSED WITH NINE !!! AND YET THEY ARE SCATTERED ALL OVER THE COUNTRY AND IT IS HEARTBREAKING NOT TO BE ABLE TO SEE THEM ...JOan Holman

Anonymous said...

nice blog, mom. love you.
Nathan

Anonymous said...

I read your blog post - and will think on it - lets get a walk in later next week - time to chat about our kids and their lives!
Jean

Mercedes said...

mom don't eat your tongue. i like your opinions and i like taking issues with opinions too. i mean ideas are for talking about. and that is something you are always good at.

i love you.

mrw

RACHEL said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6HvS0pOoJc

Bonnie White said...

She makes me look like June Cleaver.

Whitney said...

Great post Bonnie on describing that place in between two worlds.

C.J. Schneider said...

When I left home I went to the next province over and then to Amsterdam, and then Ghana, and then Taiwan (and there was that military stint) and my Mom was pretty good at just letting me do my own thing...until the grandchildren showed up. She still struggles with knowing when to speak up and when to just keep it to herself. It's an art, and usually she gets it right, but it's taken some practice.
My little Oliver just started kindergarten last week. Even though I'm not even close to where you are Bonnie - I get it. It's hard to let go.

The Parent du Jour said...

Just wanted to let you know that you are today's (September 13, 2011) Parent du Jour! Check it out here:

http://theparentdujour.com/2011/09/bonnie-tonita-white-mon-nid-vide/