9/27/11

Never let me go

At the temple today while we were moving into another room, I noticed a frail elderly man waiting in the aisle for an equally eldery stooped over woman. He took her bony veiny hand and while it wasn't entirely clear who needed whose support more, it was very clear that they loved each other.

It was a beautiful sight.

Later in the cafeteria, I watched them share a roast beef dinner. They ate silently but companionably. He went for some dessert while she put what they couldn't eat in a plastic container. Lunch tomorrow? I wondered. Or maybe a little snack for their dog.

He came back with a mountain of soft ice cream which they shared. They weren't in a hurry. No particular place to be except right there with each other.

I've added to my bucket list tonight: Grow old with B. Eat ice cream out of the same dish. Hold hands.

2 comments:

nathan said...

That's a sweet story....and I'm not just talking about the ice cream :)

Love you, Mom.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, Bonnie,You are too young for this, but I totally understand................Cathy