9/22/11

The Sleepover

Used to be Mother wanted to have a sleep over. A bath is what she really wanted. She's adjusted to a shower but you get so much cleaner with a bath she informs me. Sleep isn't something UTBM does.She isn't a very good house guest. She heads for bed at 8:30 p.m. and awakes at 4:30 a.m.  She makes a lot of noise. So I scramble out of bed just slightly aware that this isn't too far off from the time I normally go to bed. It's dark outside. Autumn leaves are now falling. I say she isn't a good house guest. But I am wrong. She cleans. She can't help herself. She empties the dishwasher. She does the leftover dishes. She sweeps the floor. In my sleepy stupor I consider what life with UTBM under the same roof 24/7 would be like. Clean would definitely factor into it. By 6 a.m. she is hungry. But she doesn't know how to fix it anymore. So I make blueberry muffins with lemon zest for the first time in a decade. She doesn't remember what a muffin is. She's amazed that you can make such cute little cakes. After her "brekkie" she goes for the  anticipated bath. She's in there for 30minutes. I begin to wonder if she has drown or if she has fallen asleep. She comes out with a towel wrapped around her. Her body that carried four of us and worked as a clerk and shovelled wheat and baked bread and sewed clothes is a saggy mess. Seeing all that flesh and atrophied muscle, I am horrified at the prospect of my own sagginess. She smiles brilliantly at me. "Oh that bath was just great!" Such little simple pleasures. She doesn't know about the murder last night downtown nor the assassination in Afghanistan. She doesn't realise that her rent is going up. At 6:58 I look into the Eastern sky and this is my reward:


Used to Be Mother is all dressed now with makeup and hair curled. She awaits her ride later this morning that will take her to her grandson's wedding. She watches the weather channel. You can never have too much weather.

And I am on my way back to bed. Sleepless sleepovers haven't changed much since I was girl.

Mom and I watching Mansfield Park
But no, she has nothing to do but watch out the window for her ride so I invite her to my bed to watch a movie. She has never heard of such a thing: a movie at 10 a.m. and in bed? And on the microwave? It's a computer Mom. Oh. We nestle in and cuddle. And then I hear her snoring softly. She's fast asleep. Bathed, fed, loved. Just like a baby.

14 comments:

nathan said...

She's like the energizer bunny!

Louise Plummer said...

Oh that we could all be this well cared for when we become the UTBMs.

Mercedes said...

i love that picture mom. i like these little posts about g-ma too. she cracks me up.

Jean Saunders said...

Such perspective Bonnie on the needs of our parents. I picked crab apples yesterday for Dad - under extremely close supervision as my abilities were under considerable question. They went on to make 12 more jars of jelly using a complcated steamer. How lucky they (and I) am.
Did you know you had such patience?

Anonymous said...

So lovely. Cherish all those times with your UTBM!!!...Cathy

Marissa said...

Beautifully written, Bonnie! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

SOMETHING I JUST REMEMBERED ABOUT YOUR MOM..... I REMEMBER WHEN " UNCLE " CHRIS BROUGHT HER TO MY OUR PLACE IN THOROLD TO MEET US AND I ALSO REMEMBER THEIR WEDDING AND HOW SHE WENT OUT WEST TO LEARN ALL ABOUT LIVING ON A FARM . SHE WROTE A LETTER TO MY MOM TELLING HER SHE WENT TO TOWN TO BUY SOME PEACHES TO CAN AND HOW SHE LAUGHED AT THE PEACHES THAT WERE NO BIGGER THAN APRICOTS !!! I GUESS IT WAS AUNTIE MAY THAT HELPED HER LEARN THE ROPES ABOUT LIVING ON A FARM , BUT GOD BLESS HER , THAT SWEET LITTLE RED HEAD FROM THE CITY STUCK IT OUT AND DID A GREAT JOB .... LOVE, JOAN

Anonymous said...

HOW SWEET !!! WHAT A NICE PICTURE ... ...TOGETHER IN A NICE COMFY BED , IT MUST BE HARD TO SEE HER LIKE THAT , BUT , KNOWING WE WILL LOOK A LOT BETTER IN THE NEXT GO AROUND MAKES ME FEEL BETTER BECAUSE I SURE DON'T LIKE WHAT I SEE IN MY MIRROR ANYMORE !!!! SO NICE TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN , LOVE, JOAN

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tender mercies are what keep us glued together. It’s recognizing them for what they are in the quiet moments when they are happening.


Faye STrong

Anonymous said...

Hi Bonnie,


Thanks so much for sending this to me! I absolutely love your blog, and I must say you are an AMAZING writer! Oh and that picture with your mom in bed watching a show (which I love by the way)- you look like you are 20 years old! You've still got it Bonnie! :-)


Caroline

Anonymous said...

So cute Bonnie .......you are a good daughter!!!

Kathy Layton

Bonnie White said...

No I didn't realise I had that much patience and if you actually recorded my tone it wouldn't be a very gentle picture of who I can be sometimes.

RACHEL said...

I dont think you get cleaner in a bath - its like human soup

Kathy said...

I love your comment of 'asleep. bathed, fed and loved'.... that is just like a baby and one can only hope that they have raised their children well enough to make sure that when the tables are turned we UTBMs can be cared for as well. You are a good daughter - and your mom is a good momma! Lots of love Bonster - K