12/22/13

Things I've Enjoyed this Christmas Season

Many of you know how much I hate Christmas. Not in a grinch kind of way. I just am overwhelmed with making the perfect Christmas, putting Christ in Christmas, the real meaning of Christmas, the giving of Christmas, the decorating, the baking, the gift giving of Christmas. Every flyer or catalogue with beautiful laden tables or perfect little black dresses raises the ante. No matter what I do, my Christmas will never be enough because of the volume of ideas, recipes, plans, music and decor available out there.

My wise daughter RLW reminded me a few years ago that Christmas is a season not an event. With that in mind, I decided this year to enjoy the season. I began early and decorated the house just enough to make it feel festive and before the beginning of December. I mailed some cards and gifts just enough to let those not near know of my love for them. I baked cookies and bread and made cranberry preserves just enough for gifts to neighbours. I stayed out of the mall. I refused to look at Pinterest and the flyers and catalogues. I belted out Christmas carols while I sewed on one of the Christmas gifts. I watched movies with my daughter MRW as I knit on a different gift. I took a class. I went to a Christmas concert. I had a few dinner parties. I taught some women how to bake.

You know what? I feel joy. Peace. Goodwill towards men. Christmas isn't even here yet. There's more to come and enjoy.

There might be something to the Christmas stuff after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the first three lines, Bonnie. I am with you on that one. Why do we put so much pressure on ourselves?
Merry Christmas!......CH
P.S. Keep on knitting